Why use a free shard genarator?

I don’t use them, i get how you want free shards to get your other two gears more quickly but your wasting a slot for other gear that could help. I don’t get it. Why use them?

1 Like

they are also helpful to build turrets and stations early in the match.

2 Likes

My 2 main reasons.

1. It allows activation of 2 expensive/legendary pieces of gear earlier than normal without starving your team of shards.
    or
  2. (my favorite) Free shard with a free build and a purple/legendary. On meltdown or incursion you can build a fat bot on the first wave which gives you a huge chance to own that lane at the start. It also translates into a lot of XP through buildables since you’ll end up with an abundance of shards. In most games, with Orendi, I can hit 10 by the time everyone else is 7 or 8. So I’m sacrificing some late game for a much stronger early/mid game.

On maps like capture they come in handy with 2 pieces of gear you wouldn’t normally be able to afford during a short match.

6 Likes

You’ve already answered your own question. You can get your gear activated sooner with fewer choices, or later with three choices. It’s interesting playing versus to check the gears activated on the final score sheet. I’ll often see people with three legendaries, but not a single one activated. Or, I’ll see one player with 2 or 3 epic/legendary items activated, but no-one else on their team got anywhere near enough shards to do the same.

3 Likes

So you can always keep shock up, and when you kill their sentry you can deny them their thumper stinger and health station

1 Like

It’s the best piece of gear for ~25 characters. Other characters that can move quickly - don’t really need free shard generators (Mellka, Benny for example).

• having a strong early game (quick gear/turrets/elite bot activation + faster xp gain) is much better than 3 items that you slowly activate throughout the game, because if you take the lead at the beginning - the other team just doesn’t have a lot of chances for a comeback.
1 Like

Especially if it gives you the edge to keep stealing the shards in enemy territory!

3 Likes

Strong early game and, specially, gaining some extra XP through building stuff with characters that rely on his late-game skills and helixes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also, free shard gen means you need to leave lane less to get the shards you need.

7 Likes

The free early buildable experience is a fairly large advantage
And getting a large bot before the 2 minute mark puts a lot of teams on edge [quote=“VaultHunter101, post:4, topic:1560823”]
one player with 2 or 3 epic/legendary items activated, but no-one else on their team got anywhere near enough
[/quote]

Have you ever met a QMB Pendles?

1 Like

Yes they are.
I run a pretty cheap build, and I can get my things running pretty quickly, and get support stations online very quickly.

2 Likes

A post so nice I’m making people read it twice.

In one of the few instances where I find Attikus to have any actual impact in games, i’ve run into several teams who use him exclusively to take single and double thralls while he spends shards to keep fat bots comings. It doesn’t do much but keep pressure up until Big Daddy Atty hits five, then he triggers his fully stacked ult right in there with the wave. If the rest of the team is in a position to back this up it’s a. . . rather impressive onslaught that can be difficult to hold back.

Why this is relevant, they usually run a shard generator on Atty so he can keep those fat bots coming.

3 Likes

I was one of those that was very hesistant to use a shard generator. During the past 2 months I started using them and I can’t stop now. I changed all my loadouts to include a 0 cost shard generator. They are extremely helpful to build, level up and activate the remaining 2 gears faster. I don’t see it as a wasted slot. The gear aids you in your overall gameplay and team.

2 Likes

QMB = Quatermastery Bin? Not that I remember, although I don’t always look too closely at the individual gear pieces. That would be really scary sneaky though!

1 Like

In my opinion QMB is one of most heavily underrated gear pieces.
I’ve made this argument before but I think Pendles works best as a utility character/assassin
Shard theft is a very viable strategy with good communication
On an good day I can get my team 8k-12k
shards a person while maintaining a positive K/D
QMB is a 66.6̅6̅% shard gain for the team as a whole
only need 5400 to run triple legendaries :slightly_smiling_face:

if QMB was a wrench I’d probably run in all my non-comp sets

2 Likes

Can you link which gear is that please

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve noticed that bonus shards are a secondary stat on some similarly useful items. Get a QMB up with secondary shards on something to boost Pendles damage or speed, and the team could be running legendaries AND pushing minions like there’s no tomorrow.

IIRC QMB doesn’t stack? Because that would be seriously broken.

1 Like

There is no way for it to do so by function.
The +30% is in addition to the 20% you naturally give your teammates whenever you PICK UP shards
You don’t share the 2.1/sec

2 Likes

I meant if more than 1 player on the team was using it.

Wow, just learned something new! I had no idea that happened - thanks! (Not that this excuses shard hogs)

2 Likes