Why was there so little marketing?

Ive been wondering about this the last few weeks, I knew about Battleborn for a while but never payed much attention to it until a few months back when the beta was close to the public.

I was skeptical about the game, but after trying it out I changed my mind and I pre ordered right away, I have to say Im content with the game as a whole, but I have this disappointing feeling where I feel the game was not exposed to the public as much as it should have.

Maybe the devs/publishers didnt think the game would become a hit so their expectations were lower and thus they backed on funding the game’s publicity?

Whatever the case, its a shame the game came out in the same month as Overwatch, I know they are very different kinds of games, but around the internet all I hear is praise for it and very little for Battleborn, if at all.

Its a shame really, because I think both games do what they do well, but Battleborn is more complex and has more depth (to me) than Overwatch and the characters feel more diverse in their design and abilities.

Will Gearbox and 2K do something to maybe get more exposure for the game? I don’t want the game to be overshadowed by Overwatch as my one fear is losing people to play with and ultimately stop playing myself because of that.

6 Likes

Why would you stop playing if you enjoy playing the game? I am in a multigaming guild and none of my guildies have this game. I still play it regardless of what game they are playing. In fact, I’ve made many new friends in Battleborn that I sometimes group with.

There were a lot more games that came out this month, not just Overwatch. There is also nothing wrong if someone wants to play both games.

3 Likes

This game didn’t come out in the same month as Overwatch

Overwatch is coming out in the same month as this game.

4 Likes

Perhaps. Advertising is very expensive. But I have seen Battleborn plastered around game sites like GameFAQs, so the advertising is out there. It’s just not on a EA/Activision type of scale.

2 Likes

I am in the UK and actually saw a few TV adverts for it - so that’s way more marketing than I expected.

Serious price reductions (50%) is the only way left to get new customers.

There will be steam summer sale in 1 month. This game will definitely be on the front page one day or another and will get more exposure (if they will do at least -10-15%).

I think of this game from the borderlands perspective, not a whole lot of people knew that game when it released, but eventually, month after month, the fanbase grew and grew and look where that franchise is now - one of the most known games. Just give this new title some time and the player base will grow.

Ive been trying to spread the word, but everywhere I try to people will be quite negative towards the game, often dismissing it and comparing it to Overwatch, which they will usually praise.

I like this game a lot, my fear is that the player base will die out in a few months and I don’t want that because I want to keep playing.

Compared to how good of a reception Borderlands got, Im actually surprised Battleborn hasn’t received such a warming response from both media and players.

1 Like

Same prob over here. For a lot of people Battleborn is ■■■■ for some reason. And if i ask them what the problem is 99,9% can’t explain why, and have not a real idea what Battleborn is… something in the marketing went horrible wrong guys.

2 Likes

Its mostly because overwatch is by blizzard who simply have millions to blow on marketing (which I feel they should have spent on the game itself instead since its really lacking)

I admit until open beta I too thought of battle born only as “the not overwatch game” but now having played both betas, I vastly prefer battleborn.

4 Likes

It was originally intended to be released in February, but got bumped to May… Whether this was for production reasons, needed extra time to finish it, lack of preorders, I’m not sure… Only gearbox/2k knows…

It was marketed at most gaming expos in 2015, to match its February 2016 release date… Players could get a sneak peak, see what it was about, etc… This generally promotes preorders and player interest…

I know I preordered my copy in expectation of the February release, long before the beta was playable in April to coincide with the new May release date…

I think anyone whom hadn’t preordered it for the original February release, or even players that did… Maybe did forget about it between February and May, until their minds were refreshed/reminded with the April beta…

I’m not sure if this was a lack of funds for ongoing advertising following its original release day bump… Or if they were busy with other means for this project (the Battleborn tap App for example)…

But yes, certainly didn’t seem to be put out there all that much as far as ‘retailer’ spots were concerned (my local eb games store now has posters up in store, following its release, nothing prior)…

But they were always going for broke with it as far as their social media was concerned… After all that’s free advertising, but not everyone knows where to look/follow to see it…

I also think it can be difficult to market a new project, when you have become so well known/famous for a particular one… That being borderlands…
As let’s face it, when they were trying to speak of Battleborn, most people threw the ‘when is borderlands 3 coming?’ questions their way…

I’m happy I made my preorder back when I first heard of Battleborn, in anticipation for February…
long before I knew of any mention of this ‘other game’…
Because I don’t let popular (or unpopular) opinion shape my game play…
I play whatever I want…
And I wish other gamers/players would do the same…
No mass advertising, demos, reviews, or game comparison required.

4 Likes

Nicely said

I just think there is a lot of misconception about what the game is and does and people are quickly dismissing it, its a shame really, I think the game lacks in some areas (like the campaign for example) but in general I think the game is solid and the characters are fun to play.

Borderlands 3 will come out eventually, but Im fine with Battleborn for now really, wish more people would give it a chance.

Well said. But these day’s it sadly work this way -> if a game don’t get enough promotion it could take a few month and you have to play alone/ see always the same people. -> Sucks.

That’s the fear behind this topic.

Also true…
This game is designed to be an online at all times functional game…
And with it, online game play with other people…
And maybe some more marketing should have been put in to attract the online play together crowd…

But word of mouth can also bring in the masses…
Though the current word of mouth seems to be bringing much controversy with a competitor, negative stigma, and a lot (ALOT) of false information/impressions…

This is where I wish people would learn to think/play for themselves, and not be swayed by popular or unpopular opinion…

I also feel Battleborn players, are also doing false advertising for this game…
Saying it has the potential for an e sports game, that it could be super competitive, and giant novelty checks handed out in fan filled arenas…

I don’t mean to talk down a game I love…
But I don’t feel like it was ever designed to be that…
Yes, it’s a competitive game, otherwise it wouldn’t function around wins and loses…

But it appears to me, this is an e sports game for the couch potatoes…
It isn’t what blizzard wants their game to probably potentially be (the novelty check)…

Gearbox/2k could correct me on this however…
But I think they make games for the fans, the public masses…
Not the small percent of ‘I get paid to do this/travel the world/compete for a trophy’ types…

So I wish, people would stop being ‘so competitive’…
Play the game for what it is, a fun time…
And leave the huffing puffing and grunting to the professionals…

Market it to your friends,
Play with your friends…
And by all means, smile!
(No arena of fans, trophy and giant novelty check included)

1 Like

I guess they relied a lot on their fan base which worked amazingly well with the Borderlands games. The first Borderlands game was a surprise hit but that was in late 2009 (almost seven years ago) but Borderlands 2 basically sold itself. Gearbox simply announced the game and then sat back and rode the hype train. They tried to do it the same way this time. I got an email from Gearbox like two years ago that there is a game called Battleborn and I dutifully told my friends who played the Borderlands games with me about it. But what little information there was on the game just didn’t look that good. Then came the closed technical test and even though I really put some hours into it the game was unfinished and lacking a certain something. My friends asked me: “And? Is it as good as the Borderlands games?” and I told them about the NDA but also told them that there would be an open Beta before launch and over two million players answered the call. Had those two million players told their friends that Battleborn is this awesome new game from Gearbox then we’d have a lot more players. The unvarnished truth is that those people looked at the finished product and decided that it just wasn’t that good of a game. I just isn’t that good of a game. I’m not saying that it is a bad game or that you can’t have fun playing it but “the crowd” just didn’t “feel” the game and stayed away after the beta. Unfortunately, that is something no amount of traditional marketing can fix.

1 Like

Well good marketing could have helped. Bad marketing certainly didn’t.

Just get out there and look at forums or videos. People still think this game can fairly be compared to Overwatch, yet they are nothing alike in gameplay.

So they blew their load on marketing for feb, had to pull it, didnt have enough for may…

When I discuss the game with my friends they usually aren’t that negative towards the game. Most of my friends play on PC exclusively and most of the time just f2p mobas like lol/hots/dota2 or smite. They don’t like to spend money and with some of the bugs and exploits it is really hard to sell them the game.

ps4 digital deluxe copy getting some serious price drops USA only - game plus DLC just $40.

Amazon has the game for $39.99 right now too. $20 off for those interested.

Damn…$40 and its not even a month since release? :frowning: I would have loved to get the DD edition but got the regular one.