Will 2K/GBX Continue to Support BB Even After Last DLC & Supercharge?

So, I have been hearing a few people say that 2K / Gearbox just want to pump out this last DLC (next week) and the new 3vs3 PVP mode, Supercharge (any idea when?) as quickly as possible so they can move on and focus on newer / better things (how they will ever top Battleborn is beyond me, and yes, I am even including Borderlands 3’s amazing potential in this statement).

Do you guys think this is true?

Do you think patches / fixes / updates / bug fixes / balance changes / special wacky events / extra credit & exp & loot events will continue to occur?

Will the servers stay alive?

What do you guys see the future of Battleborn being over the next say, 3 to 6 to 12 months?

@joekgbx & @jythri is there any chance you kind gents could weigh in on this?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

5 Likes

Well whoever were saying that have no idea what they are talking about, so, we can only hope for the best

4 Likes

6 Likes

The best thing about being a pessimist; is actually being happy when you are wrong.

12 Likes

Most likely, they’ll continue community events for a while (maybe till the end of 2017). After that, probably nothing much.

3 Likes

I’d say hopefully they only stop support once they add the ability to play solo offline (for campaigns and for private bot pvp) for every platform and maybe leave the co-op to 3rd party unofficial servers like Hamatchi on PC if it comes down to that. I don’t know how to fix the issue of servers going down for consoles since Sony and Micro would never let 3rd party unofficial servers happen, but it’d at least be better than nothing.

3 Likes

I don’t see 2k supporting it after the final DLC is out but I’m pretty sure most of the devs will want to. I won’t expect as much from them without any support from 2k (granted they never had much to begin with) but knowing how much the devs love this game, I don’t think they will be able to just put it aside and move on to “newer/better things”. They want this game to continue as much as us.

16 Likes

they have directly stated they plan for at least one more balancing patch so as long as we get that they won’t have lied or anything. I’d love to see some number tweaking and balance patches from here on out, especially now that all 30 characters have been released (if there aren’t plans for 5 more) ((and god do I hope there are more))

7 Likes

What kind of balancing/fixing is The PreSequel or original Borderlands getting nowadays?

1 Like

I think a lot might depend on how this Choctaw tournament turns out. It may give Battleborn some much needed exposure in the E-sports scene. If it turns out well, and people actually see the potential of this game, and that it is NOT an Overwatch clone, ( pretty sure a lot of people still think this) it may get a huge influx of new players. i would like to see support for years to come, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

9 Likes

Maybe they are going to work on BattleBorn 2…

but yeah I think minor hotfixes to balance characters will continue and I hope the game goes F2P before they just totally move on to BL3

2 Likes

We’ve seen firsthand that there are genuinely passionate devs on the team (ironically, they’re ones that are most likely to act as lightning rods for the fears and hopes of us passionate players…)

My suspicion is that, until they’ve exhausted every avenue, Gearbox (and 2K, I guess…) will strive to find that elusive break-through. If it never comes by, say, Q4 this year, then yeah, we all probably need to brace ourselves. As far as this game becoming offline-playable goes, the fact we haven’t even seen a proper matchmaking redesign or the implementation of region locking (two netcode fixes that would drastically improve QOL and retain players) doesn’t bode well for such an overhaul. The team resources may not even be there.

7 Likes

I really can’t see them putting out anything. They’ll milk the time to release Supercharge, but beyond that, I can’t see it being anything beyond July at the earliest. But we all know that, and we’re the kind of fanbase who respect that. Still, I and many others have found amazing people through this game, so it’s never going to be a complete loss.

But I’ll give it to July. They would have already sought ways to keep it running beyond that, I’m sure, but I’m not sure what they could do. In the immortal words of Aladdin…

2 Likes

5 Likes

BL3 has been in development for awhile already. I’m hopeful that we will start to get more info on it this year. E3 perhaps, or later this year.

Regardless, I’m optimistic that support for Battleborn will continue while BL3 continues in development throughout this year. No reason they can’t do both.

2 Likes

At this point, I’m afraid, very afraid.

1 Like

There’s the Trial Edition, with a couple of bugfix/hotfixes after that. And the Borderlands skins. That’s still a thing?

1 Like

With or without active hotfixes and patches, how much could it possibly cost to at least keep the servers running for those who want to drop in play?

I mean, I’m pretty sure the DEMON’S SOULS servers are still active, from 2009!

The question you have raised is the elephant in the room and I refrained from raising it myself on these forums because on this issue the only voice that matters is GBX’s because they are the only ones who know what their plans are for the game going forward. So I raised the question in the chat during the live stream yesterday … Deafening silence! :disappointed:

I don’t begrudge them (i.e., @Jythri) the position they find themselves in at this point in time but as a PC owner of this online only game I would like to get some visibility into what the shelf life for this game is going to be beyond the season pass content because it does affect what I focus on in game. Specifically, outside of new OPs DLCs and Lootpocalypse events I solely do PvP even though the PC meta has been reduced to stomp or be stomped. So if they are going to be turning off the PC servers then I want to know so I can go finish up my remaining mastery challenges in order to get 100% Steam achievement, get diamond on all story and OPs missions, and get my missing legendaries at max stats.

1 Like

I believe Randy V. alluded to them using cloud servers, which are cheaper than dedicated servers and certainly more scalable. I doubt they’d ever have to shut down the servers entirely (hell, many of the MMOs I was playing in the 90s still have servers up), but would we see a reduction in server performance and maybe the disappearance of little-used - in fact, technically nigh-inaccessible - data centers like Australia East? I’d say probably.

1 Like