Will Battleborn Survive & Stand The Test Of Time?

So, it’s been almost 4 months now and Battleborn still seems to be growing and going strong.

The player base is small (especially compared to the monstrously over-rated juggernaut that is Overwatch), but those who like it, like it a lot.

Do you guys think Battleborn will have long term longevity?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2 Likes

I think Battleborn still has some hurdles to overcome, but once it does I believe it has a very long life ahead of it.

2 Likes

@kaleidodemon

Such as?

GBX has a good track record with support (see Borderlands). If they give BB the same long term TLC the game should be fine.

2 Likes

@AMG_75

That’s how I feel, too!

Good to see you again, buddy, been a while!

1 Like

It’s good to see you too FFA!

1 Like

Small playerbase, issues with optimization, balance issues, various bugs, etc. Their image in the mainstream media/community isn’t helping either. A lot of people think that the game is a joke which couldn’t be farther from the truth. It’s a damned good game but it needs a little more polish and some more people playing it. It’s just going to take some time and effort, both on Gearbox’s part but also on the part of the community as a whole. A lot of people in the Battleborn community aren’t really helping matters.

Edit: Knew I should have used the orange reply arrow instead of the white one but wasn’t expecting someone else to post so suddenly.

6 Likes

I think it’s too small right now to have anything but a small, devoted following. The campaign is pretty minor and disjointed, and there are only a couple of maps per gametype. It also seems to still have a lot of rough edges. It’s gameplay is also a bit harder to pick up on. Games like Calladoody and Overwatch do well because they’re designed to be casual. The kill times are so short that pretty much anybody can pick up the controller, point a gun at somebody, fire off a couple of rounds and get a kill. Battleborn has MUCH higher kill times and a much larger skill gap, so while it might be more popular with people who game seriously it’s not likely to do as well with the casual crowd.

All of that said, it has some of the best characters designs and funnest gameplay of any game I’ve played in recent memory. If it were polished up and expanded it could be an amazingly popular game.

3 Likes

I actually wish Gearbox would stop releasing charactes for a while and focus on adding in more quality maps, missions and / or new game modes.

I’ve been playing solidly since release and have barely scratched the surface of all the characters but have been wishing for more maps / modes almost since day 1.

2 Likes

They’re working on adding a little of everything. New modes incoming as well.

2 Likes

I am new. I hope it can last. I think people really had… No I know people have the wrong idea about this game. It is a MOBA. Not a FPS game like Overwatch. Hell, I own both and Overwatch and Battleborn are NO WAY SIMILAR. I wonder what happened to give the game a bad rap.

I enjoyed my short time with it. PvE is fun but I do want to get into public PvP and get my butt kicked. A small player base is going to guarantee I get placed against higher skilled opponents.

And if Thorn is supposed to wreck house, I have a lot to learn. Lol.

1 Like

I hope it does, which is why I bought season pass for myself and my friend, as well as two platinum purchases for skins. I have played a lot of competitive shooters in my day, and I think BB is really on to something. Not just with the funny/inclusive and silly atmosphere, but with the helix and gear options. It just brings so much more depth. I own OW too, and it’s sooooooooo boring compared to BB. I play OW for 20 minutes and I’m like “this is great!” Then I play BB for 20 minutes, and then another 20 minutes, and another 20 minutes… and that was about 320 hours ago. Haven’t touched OW since. And I like it. It’s just that BB is so much better and deeper.

My biggest concern is that new players get so utterly rekt in PvP. I did when I first started, but I liked it and kept playing, and now I’ve mastered several characters, gotten tons of gear, and I do fairly well these days. I’m just worried that there are essentially two players rights now: people like me who have become addicted to this game since day 1, and brand new people who may drop it after the beatdown they experience in PvP. When I’ve played on a team with a huge advantage (2-3 100s vs a team of all level 4 folks) we usually surrender once we’ve killed the first sentinel. I can’t type to them and say “hey don’t sweat it, this game has a steep learning curve but it’s worth it!” So we just surrender and give them the win instead for fighting the good but admittedly brutal fight.

2 Likes

They were both marketed as hero shooters. One was insanely anticipated. The other had bad marketing. And dev name recognition was clearly on Blizzard’s side. And this game is confusing at first, pushing reviewers to make a snap judgement. Which they did. This game got terrible reviews for what it is. And it’s a new idea. People actually hate those. The list goes on.

6 Likes

@epicender584

That is the sad and unfortunate truth!

2 Likes

Eh, getting rekt in PvP is supposed to happen unless you started when it was new. People keep playing. I am sort of dismayed people hate losing and learning so much. A loss is a chance to learn what you did wrong and try again.

People want an easy button these days.

3 Likes

You’d probably be surprised at how long game with a small, devoted following will last. City of Heroes/Villains was released about 6 months before WoW (April 2004) and, even after WoW (and the gamekiller that is Jack Emmert…) gutted the player base, it kept going for 8 years (August 2012; there’s actually still a very strong private server community that has continued development for the game as well).

Really, the secret to the long term success of any game is continual support from devoted and passionate developers, especially since, with good updates and word of mouth, it’s actually possible to buck the trend and get an increase in players over time rather than simply attempting to stymie population loss.

3 Likes

I would like to argue there is a third catagory of players: Those like me who have somehow lived completely or at leat 90% off of this games fantastic PvE alone. I have tried the PvP, got stomped, felt bad, got over it, and started looking into how to get better. As long as new players can enjoy some of the content, it will live. If they enjoy it enough to try to learn to like all of it, maybe tell their friends, it can grow.

As it stands now, we have a fantastic (though sometimes negative) community and devs that listen to what their play base is saying. As long as we all get along and people show they love this game, it will live on way past when people thought it died.

4 Likes

I fall into this category, I only venture into PvP for lore challenges, and while I don’t mind getting stomped personally, I do feel bad for my team especially if they thought that the level 100 Benedict was going to be an asset to the team.

3 Likes

My apologies MaddPatter, I should have clarified I meant in PvP. The thing is, I think the game’s “survival” as it were depends more on PvP than PvE. I could be wrong about that but PvP is usually what keeps a game going. The PvE is great, but it’s also fairly limited. I had started playing PvE again during lootpoc, but now without lootpocalype, it feels like a real grind again. 30 minute mission and getting two common gear… ugh. I do enjoy it for it’s own sake, but the loot perk keeps it interesting IMO.

1 Like

[quote=“LinkZeppeloyd, post:19, topic:1542122, full:true”]PvP is usually what keeps a game going.
[/quote]

I hear this all the time from PvP-centric players, all of whom completely ignore games that have succeeded and thrived with only tangential attention paid to PvP (since I already brought it up: City of Heroes; the PvE was also pretty repetitive, but what made people keep playing was the community and the replayability, which BB could very easily approach given the number of Battleborn that are possible).

2 Likes