Will it get better?

This game is incredibly difficult to get into. I recommend playing with a friend who is experienced with the game. @PrinnyPaladin is a new player but he’s been playing with and communicating with several players that have been playing since day one and he’s doing well for himself.

What platform are you on?

1 Like

I feel you, it’s frustrating for everybody involved. It’s no fun steamrolling people and it’s not fun getting steamrolled either. And i know everyone says CR doesn’t make a difference, and that’s true to a degree, i still think somebody with a lot of time in game is just naturally going to be more experienced. Repetition can do a lot to make up for just not being as naturally skilled on the sticks. It’s weird how often it seems to pit grizzled vets against teams of fresh newbies. Best advice i can give you is if it does throw you in with some higher CR’s who seem to know what they are doing, watch how they are playing, speak out, ask for advice, etc. People are usually willing to share if you’re willing to learn :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, the only real way to get fun, contested matches in Battleborn nowadays is to have a pre-made vs. a premade; which is unfortunately not a friendly system to new players, as it forces them to try and make friends just to compete with those of us who already did so. I am truly sorry for that, and apologize on behalf of every premade team out there, whether or not they feel bad about how this game treats new players.

That being said, it is a WONDERFULLY welcoming community once you integrate yourself into it. If you’re someone who prefers to play solo though, you are going to have a bad experience 90% of the time.

1 Like

Because for the most part, Xbox matchmaking seems more balanced due to the larger player base. There are five man premades but they tend to be rare.

Wasn’t aware the XboxOne’s playerbase was that much larger than the PS4’s. Interesting

Welcome to the Forums! :heart:

Matchmaking has big issues, since the playerbase is rather small. Most people team up to have better chances and a overall better experience.

So I´d highly recommend to search out for some veterans who are willing to show you the ropes. After all 10 matches are not really much, it will take quiet some training to get a good performance, as it is with most games.

Here some threads that could be helpfull:

Battleborn Discord to look for players

1 Like

How often do you recognize skilled players/frequent players on XBox? On PS4 it seems like I recognize at the very least one of the enemy team’s players every other game. And I know several premade teams.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just me but for the most part I see lots of different people on Xbox and most matches I have last the 30 minute mark. Premades exist but are really rare and the ones I face don’t win a lot.

I mean, i can see there being less premades, because the majority of good players on PS4 communicate and lobby together to some degree (a lot of “good lucks”, “good games”, “i’m screwed(s)” over the chat, haha); but i didn’t think there was that much of a difference. I’d be lying if i said i knew how close the populations were though.

A few on my friends list but not like the gods described on other consoles.

Hmm, so, how do I start joining up with some folks?

I played a LOT of PvE when I first bought Battleborn, but now that I’m back I’m interested in trying PvP. Unfortunately, it’s very much like the OP described. I was just in a match where the only person that seemed to know how to play the game mode (something with masks, I think) cursed us out for incompetence and ragequit, leaving us with four people that had no idea what we were doing versus what I suspect was a premade. It was a massacre.

I’m not the sort of person that gets too salty about losing, because I’m not very good at PvP and I’m just here to have fun. Regardless, I don’t think it’s a good first experience with PvP. (Looks particularly bad for folks like me that have a few levels under their belt, but haven’t really played PvP - we get in there and people assume we’re just fools or throwing the match on purpose because we’re level 30 or 40 and still derping around the battlefield running the wrong way or dying to minions).

3 Likes

Its not just you, I rarely face the same people or land in a team with them, XB1 here too. My fiance plays PVP alot more often than me, but its very rare he runs into the same players.
(Though he had 3 games against @RayLightning, he is one evil Benedict! :smile: )

Much fresh blood here btw, had 1digit players in teams all week.

1 Like

I know that guy. He almost made an epic comeback against my team.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forums :heart:

Many ways:

• Open a LFG/LFP - thread in the designated subforums (PS4, PC, XB1 online play)

• Search for players via the Battleborn Discord Channel
    Unofficial Battleborn Discord server is live

• Join Battleborn related Clubs on XB1, Steam or PS4. (<- you PS4-guys have such a feature, don´t you?)

• Scroll through our various Subsections to find people who look for players on your console.

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/c/battleborn/ps4-co-op-and-online-play

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/c/battleborn/pc-co-op-and-online-play

https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/c/battleborn/xb1-co-op-and-online-play

In this case I would say that there is a combination of general noobiness (you have played 10 games so far and probably no PvE. I can guarantee that the players you are playing against have played for at least 200+hrs and 500+ games. There is a lot to learn, and there is simply no way that you know it all yet.) and you being slaughtered by premades, where teams of 5 players of that kind of experience group up and stomp everyone, often using the absolute best strategies/builds/team comp/mechanics-abuse to farm you for kills.

Basically you have three choices:

1. See if you can join one of the premades and probably get bored of winning 90% of the time and only getting beaten when an even more tryhard premade comes along.
  2. Play alone and accept that a lot of the matches are unwinnable (or unlosable if you get ‘lucky’ with your team) but enjoy the few (20-30%, maybe) of games that are fair in both ways and involve no premades. A fair game of meltdown is pretty much the greatest thing ever… but they also just changed that mode lol.
  3. Play with just 1-2 others rather than a full team. IMO this is the best, but people only seem to be interested running 5 mans.

Also I highly reccomend playing PvE and private matches until you are totally confident with your character, know the best helix tree, have the best gear for you etc etc. If you cannot absolutely romp PvE or bots then you stand no chance against experienced PvP players, let alone when it’s a full team of them together with mics.

And stay far, far away from incursion.

And stay far, far away from Incursion.

^This. Best advice for new players, haha. Period.

Well thanks for the responses. Unfortunately it looks like I wasted $40. I don’t enjoy searching for groups and I’m not going to smash my face against a wall in hopes that it gets better on the other side.

I’ll probably play some PVE but that’s not what I got the game for. All in all I’m pretty disappointed.

2 Likes

Yup, fair enough. It is a shame that the matchmaking is so daft. But this has been discussed to no end elsewhere so I won’t go on about it.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. This game is the closet I’ve ever played to being a real sport.
By that I mean skill is gradually gained through a lot of practice and study. Many people playing have been playing for quite some time and have a large knowledge gap on new players. With practice and experience this game can be incredibly fun and rewarding but there is a TON to learn.

Hopefully after playing some of the PvE and learning some of the ins and outs you will have a better time. Good luck!

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying about practice and a knowledge gap, but they don’t put World Cup soccer champions up against middle school teams and have the middle school teams learn by losing repeatedly. PvP in this game feels unfair, and most importantly, unfun.

2 Likes