Will my split screen co op friends have to buy the new maps/characters too?

Haven’t been able to find any info on this. Kinda like to know before I spend another 20 bucks. The new character comes out tomorrow and I have nowhere near the 50k to buy her, so i was going to buy the season pass. My mind was made up but then i realized I play mostly split screen. I was wondering if my friend would be able to play the new characters if I pay for them? Also, will he be able to play the new story maps? I only ask the latter because he had to play the prologue by himself before he could play the rest with me. This makes me think it almost goes by gamertag/account. We average about 5k coins per 5 hours of gameplay. Which mean he’d have to play 50 hrs. for each new character. IDK it’s kinda confusing and I haven’t really seen any info on it myselfl

1 Like

I believe that your friends can still play with but only on the stages that they own (on their account). Also the dlc character ownership doesn’t matter since everyone gets these characters with the update. Just a matter of unlocking them.

I did ask this question before but they have yet to really reply… But the dlc character is a true issue if it’s unlocked via psn redeem codes that are one time use only or any codes that are one time use… For example for my gold skins I could only activate them on one account which meant the split screen player will not get the gold skin. But if it was unlocked via shift code with unlimited redemption, you will need to go into both accounts and key in the codes

So every friend that comes over to play co op with me has to spend another $20 on top of my $80 to be able to play the new maps with me? Also, it does matter. My friends have lives, they don’t have 50 hrs to put into it for each new character. And if I pay for said character, they shouldn’t have to do that. I mean they all wan’t to play the new characters just as much as the rest of us. Somehow this just doesn’t seem right to me at all. I feel I must be missing something here.

Damn, guess local co op really is dead. For anyone else who is interested I looked more closesly at the Season Pass details and yeah, every friend that comes over to play with you will have to buy the new content themeselve even after you pay for it. Crazy that a game that re-invigorated couch co op is helping to kill the genre. This is absolutly disgustingly greedy and you guys really should be ashamed of yourselves. With how I feel, that’s about as constructive as I can be with this. If you don’t play couch co op, then ok, that’s cool. But anyone should be able to see how wrong this is.

where did you find this information?

@Jythri or @JoekGBX can you guys confirm that season pass holder can or can’t play the new PvE missions split screen?

Seems like as long as the host has access to the mission than the second player can join? My friends can couch co-op heliophage with me and I’ll did was play the prologue for them. Hopefully it’s he same for the paid content. Works for past gearbox dlc anyway.

Hey guys,

Not sure what do you mean by “new” PVE missions?

As for splitscreen, your extra content/DLC is tied to you account (or to use the Xbox parlance, “gamertag”), not your console. In other words, if you purchase the Season Pass on one account, your split screen partner would also have to have the Season Pass on their account as well.

@JoeKGBX
So, for example, if there are two accounts on the same console, one purchased the season pass while the other one was just opened in the same console to play split screen. Then, the account(with season pass)downloaded the new dlc content and maps for the game. Can this account(with season pass) carry the split screen account into the new dlc map ? Or they both have to purchase the dlc so as to play the same map in split screen?

Both accounts would need access to the DLC in order to play splitscreen. So yes, they both have to purchase the DLC in order to play the same map in split screen.

This is the first game that does this a bit of a shame as I play a lot with my girlfriend

Wow honestly that’s a shame… Thankfully have not spent more then just the game price for now

Damn looks like I’ll have to wait for the season pass to drop in price as buying two at 15.99 each is crazy

no release date for the DLC anyway. I did get the DDE but think I will buy the missions separately when they come out for my gf’s account then its a fiver each and time between them. I can spend $5 on a mission for her. That will give us fun for a couple play troughs. Just a shame that it’s not console bound but account bound.

I absolutely agree this should be couch friendly and isn’t. My wife and i love to play ps4 together and love playing battleborn. But this system of account binding really puts a crimp in things.

1 Like

I’m going to chime in on this too, as this is a major turn off for me…
Yes, I love to support the games and the teams that make them, by opening my wallet…
And I’d do so with a season pass, but I also do couch coop, and 2 just doesn’t sit well…

We share the one PS4, and therefore, we bought (preordered, before the original february release date) the one physical disc copy of Battleborn, because, why would we get two?

Within this physical disc copy, came a redemption code for golden skins, because we preordered it mainly…

So, when one of us went into the PlayStation store, to redeem the code…
Normally, both accounts on the primary ps4 get the share of the goodies…

This wasn’t the case for these skins…
Only the player that redeemed the code, got the skins…
So the other couch coop player, had to look on with envy…

“this is how online games work”…
Or so I’ve seen written on this forum over and over…
That it only sticks to the account user, therefore, you need to get two of everything…

I hate to bring up the devil of choice on this forum, but I am…
Overwatch…
Inside the physical disc copy of the game, also came a redemption code for an exclusive skin for widowmaker…

I thought, because of everything written on this forum…
And my previous experience with redeeming the BB golden skins…
That only one person would be able to redeem the code and recieve the skin…
So I let another member of my household whom plays widowmaker more, redeem the code…

BUT…

when I logged in, loaded up the game, and went to my widowmaker skins…
I too, got to the exclusive ‘code redemption’ skin.

So now… I’m really curious, as to why this WASNT the case with Battleborn…

Is it really a ‘linked to your account only/that’s how online games work’ thing…
Or is something not quite right here…?

I’ll also add, I was the only one to ‘download’ the BB beta…
But it stuck to every users account on our PS4…
Therefore, we played coop with it, and all our stuff saved separately, even when playing solo…
And therefore, we both recieved ‘keys’…

So, what exactly is and isn’t shared…
And what do I actually have to legitimately open my wallet for?

I’m wondering if a lot of this has to do with a person’s SHiFT account. Perhaps all of the data is tied to SHiFT and saved on their servers?

I thought about this too, but you don’t actually log into shift…?

The code in question that I mentioned above, had to be redeemed through the official PlayStation store, not shift.

Shared for OW, didn’t for BB…

So, I’m really confused :confounded:

When you log into Battleborn you are also logged into SHiFT. Whenever you open loot packs and such you are sending and receiving data from SHiFT. And though you input the code in the PSN store, your PSN account is linked with SHiFT. That being said I’m still not sure if this all relates to SHiFT anyway. There may be another reason for it.

If it is a shift thing, then I wonder why it worked sharing across the board in past gearbox games (borderlands for example) but not BB?

Only required one of everything (season passes, skins, DLC) previously, despite seperate shift accounts for each user…

I’d think a code redemption probably saved more to the system?
Since I don’t actually have to have BB loaded up (or OW) to go into the PS store and redeem codes/browse/purchase/etc…

But I’m no tech person… I just know it all magically appears (or doesn’t in BB’s case) some how, haha.