With the help of Warrior250 at ModDB, I have great news: I can run the SDK on Windows 7.
I want to put together a grand how-to for all of this, and I’ll update this post as we go. The goal is to create a tool set to get anyone and everyone running their SDK on Windows 7.
Everyone is having different problems, so let’s use this thread to work them out.
Basic RtH30/EiB SDK workflow for Windows 7:
- Install game: hopefully this works with any version, Steam or DVD
- Apply official patches to game (if necessary)
- Make a backup of your BiA\System folder before the next step
- Apply Windows 7 SDK fix: download the Windows 7 fix (EiB or RtH30) , and extract the contents to your BiA\System folder
- Install SDK: check my site for the download links. If you have problems installing it, check this post for a registry hack that might help. Please post your results, whether it worked or not!
- Test “UnrealEd.exe” in BiA\System. You may or may not need to run this with Windows Compatibility Mode for Windows 2000 or XP.
- If you only want to make simple modifications to maps, or create or modify textures and sounds, you can stop here. To use the compiler to create new and more complex scripts and classes, continue to the next step.
- Open/run the batch file win7fix.bat in your BiA/System directory. If the packages do not compile without errors, check this forum for help. You cannot compile scripts and you will have to restore your original System files. You did make a backup, didn’t you?
- Test “UnrealEd.exe” in BiA\System again. If you know how, create a custom class and try to compile it.
Step 4 was the missing link, but I was finally led to the file that enables BiA Windows 7 compatibility. This fixes the problem where you try to open UnrealEd or use the ucc compiler, and process would start but nothing would happen after that.
Step 5 will be the tricky part for some people and we should use this thread to share our specific difficulties and solutions.
Step 8 will erase a bunch of files, so if the batch file or uccdepend fails, you will have to restore your backed up System folder to play the game. You may also have to kill a process named “uccdepend.exe” in the Task Manager.
Please, if you figured it out but had to do something slightly different to get it to work, post that here, so we can get every variant of solution out there.
I don’t know what it is, but all of a sudden everyone wants to mod this game again. Let’s remove as many obstacles to growing this community as we can! Thank you!