Workshop tool failures

(Krnt 13) #21

I have thought it too and its not a bad idea, but most of the locations I’ve visited have very bad internet connection speeds as bad as my current one but more stable, and for a mod of the size of mine It would still take hours, anyway I plan to take the time to work more on my mod, you know there is always something to do.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #22

I have found the “update” operation to be much more stable than the “create” operation, for some reason.

(Siber) #23

That’s worrying, because all my problems have been with update. Soon enough I’ll have to make a new public item, though.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #24

I derived a sort of workaround to these problems. There is a tool called autohotkey ( http://www.autohotkey.com ), which allows automated keyboard and mouse controls. I wrote a short script that automatically relaunches the last workshop command (by pressing “up” and “enter”) every time it finds WorkshopTool> in the command widow. You can leave it running overnight (if you have unlimited internet and no-one else on your network wants any bandwidth…)

To use it at the moment, you need to have notepad++ and the workshop tool open, and it makes a record in notepad++ every time it attempts a new command.

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.
SetTitleMatchMode, 2         ; WinTitle needs only to match part of string

!r::
    KeyWait Alt
    KeyWait r

looping = 0

previousupload = nothing

Loop
    {
      looping++
      WinActivate, WorkshopTool
      Send {End}+{Home}
      SendEvent ^c
      Sleep, 5000
      If clipboard = WorkshopTool>
      {
        ; Launch update
        Sleep, 5
        Send {Up}
        Sleep, 5000
        Send {Enter}
        ; Make a note
        CheckTime:
        clipboard = found workshop tool, launching update at %A_Hour%:%A_Min% ...
        WinActivate, Notepad++
        Send {End}+{Home}
        Sleep, 5
        Send {Delete}
        SendEvent ^v
        Send {Enter}
      }
      clipboard = 
    }
return

I left it running overnight and after about 10 attempts it worked. The script does not detect failure or success yet, but that does not matter because an update with no changes will be ignored by the workshop itself.

Build Operation took 0.09 seconds.
Uploaded 505,678,400 of 507,735,648 bytes
Workshop item updated.

WorkshopTool>update HomeworldRM\DataHWClassicMaps

Retrieving list of published Workshop items...

Updating Workshop item number: '401926364'
Title: [HWRM] Homeworld Classic Maps 1.8.0
Running Archive.exe on MOD folder...
Uploaded 537,121,871 of 543,981,069 bytes
Workshop item updated.

Does the above mean my mod was uploaded successfully? Both times the reported number of uploaded bytes are fewer than it should be I think.

(Sastrei) #26

Subscribe to your own mod and test it. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are 1500 maps to test. Would you be willing to test 500 of them? It would save me a lot of time.

I was informed by a subscriber it didn’t work.

“I subscribed, but nothing seems to have changed, and Steam only reported a 5MB download. I don’t think something is working right.”

This is getting painful. :frowning:

Is there an alternate method of uploading a mod to Steam? Some way of doing it manually?

(A nutcase) #30

I’m also gonna add this just in case, if you are using a shared version of Homeworld as in like lets say you have two Steam accounts and only one of them bought Homeworld then the one that’s shared can’t upload into workshop which is why it causes "Steam error updating item: Error code = k_EResultFail "

Hell, you can’t even comment in the Homeworld Workshop with the shared version of Homeworld.