I would like this to be a comprehensive list of weapons that desperately need to be rebalanced in order to be viable in late game play. Unfortunately I don’t believe gearbox has the time, money, or desire to play test and generate this list, so I guess I will. I would love help in this so if you comment in this same format and I’ll add it to the post and credit you. If someone has already done this please let me know.
These will be based on my experiences with Zane, as well as comments on this post. Zane doesn’t really rely on hax abilities of the other vault hunters so I think he is a solid benchmark for how relatively weak these weapons are on M10. I will be using several weapons as benchmarks for what good weapons look like in M10 in their respective weapon types that are (mostly) balanced.
- The Krakatoa
- The Hellshock
- The Kaoson
- The Bitch
- The Stone Thrower
- The Monarch
- The Anarchy
- The Flipper
- The Bloom
Benchmark: The Krakatoa
- Low Base Damage (25% of benchmark).
- High Ammo Consumption (200% Benchmark).
- Slow Projectile Speed.
- Increase Base Damage by 200-400%
- Increase RoF by 25%
- Reduce Mag size by 25% and increase critical hit damage by 50-100%
This weapon consumes far too much ammo for its very low damage. It has no place as a mobbing weapon or a boss killer despite good potential. The shotgun/sniper swap has good potential, but it deals far too little damage. I would recommend buff it 'til it’s broke and then adjust with tweaks to RoF, Mag Size, and Crit Damage.
Benchmark: Kaoson and Flipper
- Low daytime damage/Non-Extreme night damage.
- Add a visual indicator on the weapon to show whether it is night or day. Increase Base Damage by 30%.
- Increase daytime projectiles by 1
- Increase nighttime projectiles by 2
Currently, the Nighthawkin becomes usable by night, but only usable. The daytime damage is far to low to be usable during the day, and the day night cycles are too inconsistent and unpredictable to bother keeping a night hawkin in your inventory for when it is night. Doing the above buffs will bring it to the damage of 1-2 Flipper projectiles and slightly above the initial impact of a DP Kaoson. It should out DPS both of these at night, as it should given the ridiculous criteria of that strength.
Benchmark: Flipper and Monarch
- Extremely low Base Damage.
- Melee buff is weak and short lived.
- Maximum damage output lower than most guns minimum damage output.
- Increase melee buff duration by 400%. Increase melee buff potency by 100%.
- Increase Base weapon damage by 50%
- Increase Critical Hit damage by 25%
This weapon is properly worthless. Its damage ceiling is somewhere around a single projectile from the Monarch or the Flipper. It needs extreme,dramatic, and drastic buffs to even be remotely usable. This weapon should be buffed until it’s broken and then adjusted.
- Low Base Damage.
- Increase Base Damage by 150%
- Increase Reflected Projectiles By 100-200%
- Increase Critical Hit Damage by 15%
The Bloom is essentially a 1:1 comparison for this gun and currently it does over 3 times the damage of the flood with a tighter burst spread. It first needs the damage cranked up and then have more reflected projectiles to set it apart from the Bloom.
Benchmark: The Krakatoa
- Low Base Damage
- Low Ammo Efficiency
- Add a passive effect so that every consecutive shot in the burst does 25% additional damage so that the final shot does 100% damage.
- Raise Base damage by 25%
- Increase Critical Hit Damage by 25%
The wood blocker isn’t awful. It is clearly supposed to be a high crit damage tack driver, and for the most part it is, but it lacks umpf. Snipers have a real problem in this game, you can carry only 204 rounds, but they have very similar base damage to a lot of pistols, smgs, and assault rifles. The amount of ammo you carry implies that these weapons should be much more akin to a power weapon, but they just aren’t. If the excuse for this is something along the lines of “Well for Fl4k it is extremely strong” then you are balancing you’re balancing your game wrong.
So, as life plays out I had a Bloom with the - I think - highest critical bonus of 21% as well as an Unforgiven with the max critical hit bonus of 432%
With no additional bonuses at all the Bloom somehow does more damage than is on the card. The card says 17k, but it hits for 17.7k. Also, I didn’t use it without charging it up, but it doesn’t make a difference besides the boosted shot anyway. And as we all know the boosted shot gets splash damage bonuses.
The Unforgiven (by narfkeks)
Benchmark: The Bloom
Bloom vs. Unforgiven:
Crit multiplier: 2.68 vs 11.8
Bodyshots: 26.34k vs 5.91k
Critical hits: 70.58k vs 70k
- Extremely low base damage
- Often inaccurate iron sights
- Low peak DPS for a high skill weapon
- Reduce critical strike by 30-40%, Increase base damage by 150%
- Modify spawns so that only versions with precision sights spawn
It’s obvious how incredibly poorly the Unforgiven performs and even if you can hit critical all the time, which isn’t realistic at all, you only get the same DPS as the Bloom. Add to that the bonus from splash damage for the Bloom and the fact that basic weapon damage is far easier to come by, which widens the gap for body shots even more (but let’s the Unforgiven outpace the Bloom on perfect critical hits) and the Unforgiven has no chance of ever being the centerpiece of current Borderlands 3 builds.
The Electric Banjo:
- Wildly Upowered In Mayhem 10
- Bad Element
- Allow Procing on enemies who are alone
- Increase damage caused by a significant amount.
- Allow for drops in different elements.
I know this is a relic and I know this is a little rough because I am not exactly sure how it works, but I can still tell you the thing is too weak. There are only about 3 relics worth a damn in this game and this one has a ton of potential, but it simply isn’t strong enough. The major limitation in my opinion is the element. Shock is pretty useless in mayhem 10 if you are not fighting guardians because the damage reduction of shock damage for anything but shields is extremely limiting. A perfect version of this would be radiation for me but cryo, fire, and corrosive are all still much better options. I will edit this as I play with the banjo more, but it doesn’t seem like it scales to mayhem 10 at all.
List of Guns and Equipment To Add to This List
- Compressing Storm
- Fire Storm
- Tankmans Shield