Xbox one X - crash when joining a game - and workaround

My friend and I both experience a crash sometimes when joining each others game via xbox live. The crash usually shuts off the xbox.

My workaround for this bug is that after I open the game, I load single player, into sanctuary. Then I save and quit and then I connect to my friends game. It’s almost as if going into single player runs important code that doesn’t run when you connect in multiplayer.

1 Like

I’m on XB1S, while I don’t encounter the power down BS I do get a lot of dashboard crashes when joining friends. I have found this approach to help a lot.

Also it helps to let your character fully load up while at the character selection menu before you spawn in.

2 Likes

I’m on Xbox One X and sometimes i also experience a black screen after loading into Sanctuary in singleplayer, i can hear sounds, but i can’t do anything but going to dashboard and just kill the game-process.

It’s really strange why these bugs are still ingame. I mean … shutting down a console by just joining another players game is … insane.

2 Likes

Good find. I get this all the time when I join a friend. Usually I found that if I load another game first then quit and open Borderlands it solves the issue but I will try this from now on because it sounds faster and easier.

REAAAALLLLY hope this kinda ■■■■ gets fixed on Series X.

I got this too. I just dashboard. Only seems to happen on Sanctuary.

2 Likes

Pretty sad that we have to find the fixes to play the game as advertised because GBX can’t be bothered to fix their game themselves. I know mine crashed (haven’t played this game in months because of it) while attempting to join or just via matchmaking alone. Is it working for you there?

I have been asking for a fix for this since the games release and yet here we still are waiting and with the new consoles coming out don’t see this getting fixed. Basically we all paid full price to beta test this game for GBX.

Part of why I posted here is to maybe help inform them about this bug in case they don’t realize how/why it happens. Hopefully my workaround points towards the fix.

Well I for one appreciate it. When I was going through the trouble ticket process I offered to let GBX monitor (if they have a way to) my console and see what is occurring or whatever it took to help them out to fix it. I know I would still do that if I knew something would be done but at this point, especially with the focus now being on the next gen consoles, don’t see a fix coming. I hope I am wrong.

1 Like

After a year of crashing, I don’t have faith the next gens will fair any better. EXACTLY what fix will they get that the current Crashboxes don’t ?

If a hardware upgrade is the fix, then the game should never have been certified on current gen. This is outrageous.

2 Likes

I know for sure that I would not put this game in a new XBox Series X, sorry going to let some other owners bite the bullet on this one and see the results, I already did enough beta testing for GBX.

2 Likes

Possibly related thread.

Yes, I would agree they are both pretty much the same thing. Feel all of us that own the Xbox version kind of got the short end of the stick with this.

The game has been shutting down my Xbox One X since day one joining multiplayer games and we’re STILL dealing with this. This is utterly ridiculous.

2 Likes

Yep we are and yet GBX expects us to give them more money to play essentially a Battle Royal Add On, go figure. One step forward two back logic.

1 Like

Is there any Xbox series X tests yet ? if this BS also happening on next gen ?

2 Likes

Nothing that I am aware of but I know for 100% certainty I WOULD NOT put this game in a new console without waiting for others to beta test, oops I mean play it first and see their feedback. I am talking about actual customers not streamer shills that will praise anything even though this game seems to be catered to them.

2 Likes

UPDATE - Same BS still exist on the Xbox Series X and been reported on the Xbox Tech forum, Thankfully i was about to install BL3 on my new Series X then i read that member/victim post about the issue. SHAME

1 Like

Pretty sad indeed. At least it shows that GBX is being consistent with their inability to fix a major problem. Being that this is a new generation maybe they will put a little effort into fixing their game but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that.

1 Like