Xbox One X - Frequent Crashing/Stutters

I’m experiencing a lot of crashing and lock ups on Xbox One X - Project Scorpio Ed. I even changed to Performance visuals and it still crashes quite frequently. Most times it happens during boss fights, but also happens when just running around killing normal bad guys. Other times it does a lot of stuttering, Mini-freezes which pause for a few seconds then resumes. Most times I notice this is when mobs are spawning into the game, via doors and entering into battle.

The only way to “fix” my issue has been to do a complete power cycle of the console which gets it working again and running smooth for a little while, but eventually the freezes and/or crash occurs again. It has happened with all 3 of my characters so far, so it’s not limited to just 1. I’ve never had this kind of performance issue with any other game playing at 4k graphics.

1 Like

I’ve seen similar posts involving the Project Scorpio edition XB1X. Can I ask which mode you’ve been running in - prioritize frame rate or resolution?

As far as fixes, all I can suggest at this point is filing a support ticket so that the issue is properly logged for the dev team.

On Day 1, i was using Resolution mode. When the issues started to occur (mini-freezes/stutters), I switched to Performance mode. It helped for a bit, but the crashes and stutters eventually started happening there too. So both modes are effected by this issue.

I’m currently using Performance mode as it seems to run a little better.

Out of curiosity, do you have a Kinect set up? Since the last OS update, I’ve had several programs fail to login or load, including getting free games from live gold.

In order for things to work again I constantly had to reboot. Once I disconnect the Kinect all those problems went away.

I’m having the same issues. Some stutters sometimes but more importantly the game completely shuts down my Xbox at random. During bossfights, killing enemies in general, when using the Porcelain Grenade for sure! Even happend when I was in the process of joining a friend, during the loadingscreen. When my Xbox then restarts I get the overheat warning at the beginning of the startup. Also play on a Xbox one X Project Scorpio, been playing on the preformance setting from the start. Also made a ticket for this.

Nope, no Kinect attached. I did on the original xbox one, but not my Scorpio Edition.

Another question, are you in the insider program? When THC launched it had all sorts of problem because of it. I don’t know why, but the pre-sequel in particular was unplayable. I couldn’t even get it to install from the disk at first because it didn’t recognize the disk. Battleborn had a similar issue also.

Gearbox doesn’t seem to play well with it.

Other than that I’ve got nothing mate. Unfortunately no one I know is having issues.

Hi, same here. Crashes all the time.
I use a xbox one X
doesn t matter if resolutions or performance, online or local,
The box stand on a free place and ist not overheated.
I am not at the insider programm.

Sorry for my english.

Sounds like something isn’t quite right with the install. You could try deleting and reinstalling the game. If that doesn’t work, there’s a support link up-thread ^^^

1 Like

Hi, i deinstalled and installed , same probs.
I tried an extern hdd, same problem.
It crashes direct after start or 30 minutes later.
B3 is the only game who crashed my box.

I wrote to support .

I’m experiencing a lot of crashing and lock ups on Xbox One X - Project Scorpio Ed. I even changed to Performance visuals and it still crashes quite frequently. Most times it happens during boss fights, but also happens when just running around killing normal bad guys. Other times it does a lot of stuttering, Mini-freezes which pause for a few seconds then resumes. Most times I notice this is when mobs are spawning into the game, via doors and entering into battle.

I get frequent crashing on the X1X when joining on on friends. This will cause my xbox to completely shut off.

Twice now BL3 has crashed my xbox one x, cannot get through the first vault (graveyard), console locks, loud audio tone until I reset, or just completely shuts off.

Sort of stuck pretty early in the game…

I did the support ticket thing.

I’m getting constant stutters on xbox one (origonal) pretty much every time i ads or try to shoot something.

1 Like

I too have these same problems the game locks up and then turns my xbox off without any warning. Usually when I open the map or in a loading screen. Love the game but it doesn’t love my xbox. Not in the insider program or have overheating issues. Play all other games flawlessly.

I am experiencing the same crashing issue on Xbox One X where it completely shuts off my console. It popped up an overheating message when it booted. I also heard what sounded like a popping noise in my headset when it happened. I bought another Xbox One X thinking it may have been my system but the new console is doing this as well. I have now wasted money because of this broken game.

My Xbox one x has been crashing as well. I notice it a lot with big explosions on screen. I wrote support and included a pic of the error message. No reply since the initial one asking for a screenshot

I had this problem but it was locking the whole system up until it shut down, I think overheating. This is stupid, they had years to work on the game and it crashes the whole system. I asked Microsoft for a refund on Saturday and today they issued it. They want us to pay full price for the game yet it hard crashes the entire system within a few minutes on my one x. I’ll buy it for PC when gibbed comes out for it.

When will we be able to connect with friends on Borderlands 3 without having our system crash?

Been a month now and this issue is still occuring. Oddly enough the stuttering doesn’t happen when playing online with friends. When playing solo it’ll freeze up for a moment every few seconds during fights, often causing my death. I’m also on a X1X Scorpio edition. Please Gearbox get on this already.