Yellowcake ruined the campaign for me (normal mode)

Dear Gearbox. I am here to regretfully inform that I have found the new Yellowcake rocket launcher utterly game breaking when it comes to balance and overall enjoyment.

My gaming buddy and I have been playing the campaign for the fist time. We were only around level 17 when we did the Revenge of the Cartels quest and prior to that the game was a blast. Then it happened. We both got Yellowcake rocket launchers from Villa Ultraviolet and we’ve been one-shotting enemies, group of enemies and badasses ever sine. Even bosses can be 1-3 shotted.

After getting Yellowcake there has been no need to:

• switch, reload or use any other weapon
  • position or move tactically to stay alive
  • think where to put my skill points since who cares when I’ve got Yellowcake!
  • fear death, since even if I shoot myself in the foot I can get second wind with one mouse click

All above has become irrelevant. This ruins the game experience totally since it takes away all that was fun in this game. It’s like nothing matters anymore and everything feels dull and pointless. On the other hand, my friend wants to faceroll through the game by one-shotting everything. This puts us in difficult situation. As a fellow game developer I see a serious problem, but for some reason my friend does not.

So I’m asking, when is the game (Yellowcake to be more specific) going to be fixed? This seriously needs a hotfix or maybe you should disable Yellowcake entirely before reaching high levels or something like that.

I have been reading other posts about Yellowcake and I have to say, as a new player I barely know what mayhem 10 is. I just want to play the campaign with my friend like a normal casual player and would like the game to offer the kind of challenge like you would expect from any modern game. I don’t know about mayhem, but when it comes to “normally” playing through campaign there’s no question that the Yellowcake breaks the game experience entirely.

This is my fist time posting here. I would not have come here unless I felt there was something seriously wrong in the game. Please Gearbox, listen to reason and help us players to experience the campaign normally. Thank you.

2 Likes

No offence man but did it really?

9 Likes

Throw the gun over a cliff or sell it. If you want challenge out of the game, and use gear that removes challenge, then that is solely your prerogative. This issue is entirely within your power to fix.

28 Likes

So you and your buddy both somehow have infinite rocket ammo at level 17? Coo’ man coo’
If your dude wants to faceroll the game and you don’t, then you probably shouldn’t play together.

6 Likes

This game ruin itself and I won’t sugarcoat kindness with the issues this game has but the Yellowcake is the best temp gun out there till huge level cap increase happens. Just don’t use it but let others use it for any means.

This game desperately need fixes and FUN

3 Likes

You can’t be seriously suggesting it is my job to throw OP guns off the cliff instead on developers making the game balanced enough to be enjoyable. I’ve never had so game breaking experience in any game due to OP weapons before. I actually like being OP if it’s because of my skill/equipment choises and skillful playing, but this is just too much.

7 Likes

Just a couple of points. By your own admission you don’t know anything about Mayhem 10 (at this point Mayhem in general).
If a gun I find during levelling up is too powerful, I simply don’t use it.
You and you buddy have the same option.

Once you do get to M10, you will start to realize how few weapons in the game actually work at an acceptable level. That is when you will have enough knowledge to make better judgement on weapons.

You can make some good money off selling a Yellowcake to look into buying your SDUs. It is entirely up to you.

7 Likes

There is practically nearly infinite ammo laying around in those ammo boxes all around the game. We have bought only like 3 SDU’s and never run out of ammo.

Mate you do you lol have fun

1 Like

Thank for your response. Same answer here. It shouldn’t be my job to balance the game. It’s the devs job, right? Players should use every means to became powerful but devs should make sure stats are balanced.

Also please note that this topic is about first time campaign experience starting from level 0. Mayhem is entirely different league. Did you play your fist playthrough one shotting everything? Not very exiting I can assure you.

1 Like

We’ve had vastly different experiences it seems. Good for you I guess. Or bad. However you want to look at it.

1 Like

The first campaign run through can get a bit wonky and it is easy to become overlevelled for the area you are playing in.
This has been the case for all BL games.
Get through the campaign once and start Mayhem. Then you will better understand.

5 Likes

Actually I wasn’t. Why? I had prior BL game experience and knew to look out for the risk of overlevelling.
Also at that time, there wasn’t near the legendary drops that are available now. I think I had one legendary drop my entire first run through.
At that time there also was not near the ammo available. The ammo balancing came later.

I appreciate your concern, but the initial campaign run can be as easy or as difficult as you make it.

6 Likes

Oh wow, I thought that was satire. :flushed:

3 Likes

We are quite casual players and the campaign content that is about my level actually feels just fine. That is, unless I use Yellowcake. I just wish the first playthough was most optimized experience as every game should be designed that way. Even when we are overleveled, that is fine too. But one-shotting everything just ruins the gameplay experience. Using one weapon thoughout the game and having no challenge at all is just plain boring. Surely most people should agree with that? Or maybe I’m just crazy. Please say I’m not crazy when I want some challenge from games I play.

Maybe the game was in better state earlier when it comes to (OP) weapons. Clearly we’ve had quite different experiences here.

1 Like

Yeah sadly the normal campaign you are playing even on normal is easy mode it always has been in borderlands sorry

It has undergone several changes since it came out.
Some good, some bad. The concentration of fixes have been for the higher level content, which can have unintended side effects for the initial campaign.

I totally get what you are saying, I really do.
The Cartel weapons were partly a result of GBX knowing there needed to be some viable weapons in M10. Their scaling did not work right, and the majority of the weapons in the game simply do not work in higher Mayhem.
Outside of the event, the good weapons are MH6 and above so won’t affect the campaign.

You should have been here when the Ion Cannon came out in DLC2 LoL.

Yes, you shouldn’t have to police yourself, but it is the current state of the game. If I was in you shoes, as I said, I would do a couple of things. Sell any Yellowcake, great for building up the funds to buy SDUs.
Take advantage of the fun some of the other weapons can be at lower levels.
Since you have a buddy, try to get Grease Trap pistols and use them together.
Play around with the Iceburger. Completely useless in Mayhem but would be fun in the lower campaign.

5 Likes

I thought the Cannon is from DLC1?

But yeah on this subject Gearbox have this thing of making certain weapons too overpowered. Probably too much that once they try to nerf it (like IC for example) they’ll nerf it too hard. Now IC needs a shield, artifact, or both to keep it ammo up. Which does seem to throw away funner builds without ammo-regen related gear for it.

There is something gotta be done with 2.0. Bringing M10 gear to M0 going destroy everything. Bringing M0 to M10 would tickle every spongy enemies. The power of the gear that drop from certain Mayhem should probably remove to be honest and maybe fine a way to reward gear dropped from higher levels

1 Like

It has undergone several changes since it came out.
Some good, some bad. The concentration of fixes have been for the higher level content, which can have unintended side effects for the initial campaign.

I totally get what you are saying, I really do.

We just bought the game so I had no idea about the balance changes the game has undergone. I too understand that there is issues with end game balance and I’m glad that someone gets what I’m saying as well. :smile:
I don’t know what average BL player is like, but I do know that normal campaign gamethrough should be developers top priority. End game is of course important as well.

You should have been here when the Ion Cannon came out in DLC2 LoL.

Yeah, I read about that. Now they say one Yellowcake is way more powerful than Ion Cannon. :sweat_smile:

Yes, you shouldn’t have to police yourself, but it is the current state of the game. If I was in you shoes, as I said, I would do a couple of things. Sell any Yellowcake, great for building up the funds to buy SDUs.
Take advantage of the fun some of the other weapons can be at lower levels.
Since you have a buddy, try to get Grease Trap pistols and use them together.
Play around with the Iceburger. Completely useless in Mayhem but would be fun in the lower campaign.

Yes! I totally want to sell those Yellowcakes. But first I have to sell the idea to my dear facerolling friend. :sweat_smile: Thank’s for the tips. I’ll see if I can get my friend exited about them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

the game’s not that hard anyway. You don’t actually need the YC to get through Normal Mode if you have even a modicum of skill. It’s not been designed as hard as, say, BL2 was and overall there are very, very few times when you’ll struggle.

You’re right, it is the devs job to balance it, but it’s also their job to cater for as large an audience as possible. There are people who like using the YC, so posts like

are a little selfish tbh because you don’t consider what other people may like. There are plenty of guns in the game so if you don’t like one then just sell it and you won’t have to worry about it anymore. I mean, the Hellfire from the original Borderlands was OP as **** but at the same time many people really enjoyed using it. It’s not bad to have the odd OP gun in the game and it’s entirely within your control to use it or not if it’s negatively impacting your enjoyment.

2 Likes