First of all background check, about 3000+ hours in borderlands games sucesfull #1lifetolive challenge player. notably i have completed a run with axton on OP8 with only blue non red text guns and gear (biggest challenge was posed by blue/saturn/badass constructors rest was easy). Axton definitely does not suck and neither does zane.
i want to thank gearbox for creating without the shadow of a doubt the most engaging and immersive character of their whole career! zer0 was the most engaging before, but zane definitely tops that.
i do not even know where to begin and how long a topic is allowed to be so lets start with misconceptions:
- undercover is garbage?!!! a lot of idiots are advocating for this on youtube, and reddit meanwhile it is zanes best tree by far! (will be explained down below)
- double agent is his best option!!! again wrong zane is all about keeping up his kill skills and having derpy a.i assist you is hardly your best option (it is not a bad tree but very situational usefull for bossing but worst for mobbing) zane is no granede specialist and this tree while does provide survival and synergy for using two action skills definitely loses out to hitman and undercover for mobbing and arenas but beats undercover for bossing.
- zane does not do damage? well maybe because all these idiots are ignoring his biggest gun damage buff which is playing dirty. incredibely easy to keep it going and it doubles your dmg for hard hitting low projectile count weapons. zane can literally solo run the whole tvhm content of story just using regular green jacobs pistol (non masher)
- zane is hard to build??? what is this about people are abandoning the character because somehow they can not even mob with zane? he has useful skill scattered in every tree. stop going for damage buffs you do not need and invest in fluidity of character early game. pick up cool down and shield skills from barrier tree. then invest into mag size in the double agent. it is so easy guys…
- barrier is worst action skill? wtf it is the best and by far the most spammable action skill which gives you both dps and survival and synergises amazingly with the very skills that you go down in the undercover tree. ready for action and confident competence are the only damn buffs u even need to effectively mob and kill small bosses.
- ignoring salvation and playing dirty mid game (level 25-30 onwards) this is so funny same people who skip Preamunitus also skip these in favor of running speed and 20% gun damage rofl.
salvation literally makes you night unkillable and playing dirty literally double the damage out put of some of the strongest guns.
7.shitting on seein red … are you kidding me? yes you skip this for mobbing but for bosses!!! this skill is invaluable first of all it gives you playing dirty stacks on command. secondly it makes you undead as you have salvation active at all time between barrier and digi clone (yes you pick clone for bossing not nades, unless you are pipe bombing, by bosses i mean big one that resist nade dmg not regular one like chupacabrach or traunt or any hunt or story bosses) what more can you ask for from a capstone? gives you immortality and dps on demand bollocks! people say it is not worth picking up? it is the only capstone u should pick up for raiding at level 50 cap. since you can max only one skill tree.
i am so mad that i keep forgetting all the stupid ■■■■■■■■ i heard about zane so i am ready to debunk it in the comments. also if your idea of fun and good character is pressing a button to instantly win (aka fade away and crit body shots) do not even comment flak is not too op btw…
why you are playing zane wrong
the biggest mistake i see people do with zane due to complete misunderstanding of his skills is going for DPS instead of DPS. one being damage per second and another one being damage per shot. zane does not excel in vladof/dahl playstyle (aside from unique guns we will talk about later) zane is big friends with low pallet count strong hitting weapons primarily anything jacobs and torgue make, also alien barreled snipers and shotguns ;rocket launchers that do not have high pallet counts etc. i can state that a green jacobs pistol can easily carry zane in solo tvhm mobbing (we will talk mayhem 3 later)
another big mistake that all the noobs always make is thinking they have to max the tree out or pick the action skill in the tree they are investing in!! FFS guys respec all the time according to your gear and class mods! for example you can take skills in hitman tree (because they are awesome) but sentinel is by far the worst action skill zane has firstly because of the longass cooldown (auguments are great on it though all the debuffs are good just do not pick boomsday or allmighty orderence these need buffs) so make sure to use most effective action skill.
third biggest mistake is instantly giving up on granades. holly cow, guys relax that is a content for later game. do not ditch granedes for action skills, that come back in 20 seconds (early game) giving up granedes only gives it’s fruits when you can mix undercover and double agent for synchronisity and good stuff. (btw barrier is just the best option not the one you have to take you can do just about anything and still make it work in normal mode)
how to level up (guide for teapots)
if you somehow manage to find trouble going through the game with zane here is a guide to spec step by step.
1.take barrier-as your action skill
2.preamunitus -it sits in double-agent tree. mag size is the best bonus together with reload speed in early game! (yooutubers who ignore this are same people who could not handle UVHM in bl2 and bee hawked and shamfleeted like bafoons)
3.invest into adrenaline
4.invest into ready for action (now you have reached the relative fluidity of character, your action skill is fairly spammable, you still have nades, you reload less and your shield survival is much better)
5. now you can choose confident competence which is a great skill for 1 point you get 20% gun dmg on full shield (zane loves amp shields btw that drain 30% shield for 20% dmg) together with barrier now you have 20+25%(from barrier’s property) dmg for just standing safe… OR you can start investing into violent speed cold bore or violent momentum they are all good and people have no idea how cold bore helps (all these build “masterminds” skip it allbeit for decent reason but it is a good skill especially early game!)
6. if you chose to stick with barrier and chose Confident competence now you can start specing into brainfreeze this skills is great! free debuff as you should always be criting and running jacobs on zane.
6.1.IF you chose to go down the hitman work towards 1. salvation 2. seein red 3.playing dirty.(game changer skill) then go back to whatever violent skill you spared either gun dmg/or movement speed
rant time skills in this tree need buffs: reload speed or fire rate boosts are very small for full skill point investment so it is really iffy to inspect in violent violence and cool hand but the capstone is definitely must pick for bosses.
- IF you are in undercover tree, now is the time to pick up hearty stock and follow it up by really expansive jacket and then futility belt. then the road is clear to calm cool collected and distributed denial. between either amp shields or life support shields now you are almost immortal. this way of specing is not a must (in fact i stop at brainfreeze and move on to double agent, but at this point whatever you do shall work for you).
7.1.IF you chose to go down hitman tree pick salvation and playing dirty and convert to jacobs/torgue or hyperion tediore alien barrel monster. if you want to spam dps(vladof/dahl/tediore) then leave hitman tree alone and go into double agent, however it will not be efficient without giving up your grenades so be mindful of the change, once you go synchronisity and either borrowed time/ donny brook it is time to now use two action skills (clone acts as survival and boost to duration of barrier rather than dps helper)
i do not see how you can struggle with this but if you do find me on discord: Райдэн8973
now lets talk about how zane gains insane damage (no it is not fla4k or moze tier or amara speed kill tier) but nothing to cry home to mom about. as i already said zane does need buffs but people suck with zane because they use the most unoptimized options.
- Playing dirty - if you find a class mod that boosts it and gives you either cool down or some other decent effect like mag size or reload speed or shield stuff grab it by the dick!!! i have one that has whooping +5 in playing dirty which means 100% of the time i get a kill( which happens all the time) i get extra projectile to my shot for next 5 shots. so how do i take advantage of this? easily, i do not run guns that have 15 rate of fire and 300 dmg(damager per second machines) now i run guns that have rate of fire of 2 and one 1000-2000 dmg projectile (damager per shot powerhouse guns) with a twist. so what is the gear you are looking for as zane? damage per shot guy? (yes his dps build is also viable but people labeling some of those “the best” make me laugh for how unoptimized they spec. uhh gotta run quick… heck off) the gear you are looking for is for example: king’s call and quin’s call pistols almost any jacobs pistol in fact (flood not so much) that is not a masher. torgue pistols occulist and devestator etc. single shot alien barrelt shotguns or snipers torgue assault rifles (sticky) torgue shotties with low pallet count and flakker as cherry on top, jacobs assault rifles with high dmg (bekah and lyuda while being high Damager per second guns they are also high damage per shot guns so they love Playing dirty stacks, imagine redundant lyuda and now you fire 3 shots that split into 9 for fire rate of 4-5… melting dmg) now when it comes to other manufacturers there are options: for example look for guns that have multipliers or unlisted projectiles like dahl’s AAA pistol, butcher shotgun loves extra projectile! night hawking SMG also adores it (stupid powerful gun btw) you get the drift… i can personally kill tyreen without her even being past phase1 (take off and fly mayhem 2 not 3 though it depends on modifers as well) and i can hardly be killed, since i always have salvation active. now this does not mean you shall not use damage per second oriented guns good guns are good regardless for example: lucians call? go for it long musket? perfect! torch everything while you are healed eternally… close quarters carnage shall commence. now as we already mentioned zane is master of making underwhelming sniper or rocket launchers work. like tunguska rocket launcher? shoot it twice for the price of one.
and then there is… ONE PUMP CHUMP guys you literally have double the damage on 5 straight shots on this shotgun and that disregarding zane’s other buffs which we will get into now.
other dmg and survival for zane
Aside from Playing dirty’s potential we do have insane survivability! lets talk shields and HP:
1.Barrier people will tell you to pick it up (as in grab it after you deploy it) but really? can you not position the way to use it’s full buffing potential? only pick it up if u have to run and gun.
1.1 barrier the dps now barrier gives us 25% gun dmg while shooting through it and hence we are protected we add another 20% fro confident competence. what’s even better? since we have either violent momentum or synchronisity that is another 20% or 40% depending if u are running clone at the same time as barrier… or you might have both of those which gives us 60%. now there is no reason to stand still so even if you are ADS sniping you can still strafe left and right and gain damage from violent momentum. let us not forget! magazine size and reload speed are dps buffs so when it comes to barrier pick up following augments nanites or some ■■■■■ and all rounder if you have a clone take up schadenfreude and digital distribution or swap schadenfreude for whatever the ■■■■ you like. if not, you have your grenades which add insane crowd control or healing through salvation(this does not work as of 17.10.2019 hotfix salvation will no longer heal for genade damage dealt by zane0
1.2. Barrier the shield now not only it does not break (oh boohoo some projectiles pass through it… what u want literally immortality?!) it blocks boss attacks for gods sake!!! it blocks troy’s and tyreens endless spam let alone bullets from enemies. if you take the capstone distributed denial you will get bonus amp or survival from your shield it will reflect bullets or launch spikes in accordance to what your shield mod does… a great skill and people salivate for double barrel which is the most niche and broken skill zane has (never trust friendly a.i to do your job)
now i personally advocate for death follows close and either running only barrier (for mobbing) and adding digi clone for bosess ( best thing is you can swap it out on the fly, met nade resistent enemy/ies? bust out your clone instead)
when it comes to raiding check this out, all those gravevard or whatever giant tree boss name is speed kills, zane can do it pretty quick too. got fire lyuda? got amp shield? drop down summon your clone after bosses corrosive balls go away,drop your barrier over (you and clone stand inside barrier). now your lyuda fires double or tiple projectiles per trigger hold or pull, plus your clone shooting; plus you are amping from your shield; plus barrier amp; plus 40% from synchronisity.; plus 75% always on from annointed if you are lucky enough! holly god you think that thing will stand more than few seconds? all the mayhem 3 kills you see are done on favorable RNG roll of modifiers. what good does mayhem 3 do that boss, if it gives you bonus fire dmg and negative shield cryo radiation and whatever the fux else? if anything this makes the kill easier…