You know what borderlands need?

A smith…gunsmith/shieldsmith…blacksmith

For borderlands 1(?) there was a program(trainer…savefile cheat editor) that would let you actually build your own gun with each part you could choose.

For those who don’t understand…each gun is made up of parts…like gun barrel, grip, barrel…and there are lots of possible different parts when you get a gun. Which explains why 2 of the same weapon even if same level and quality will play differently.

You know that 1 time you picked up a sweet shotgun that you used for 4-5 levels then you outgrew it kept going found another that looked like it yet it wasn’t what you wanted…well if we had a smith in game we could actually BUILD the guns we use the way we want!! Make em cost a lot or limit it to like 1 gun/shield/mod crafted per 7 in game days whatever just this would be so much better than farming bosses 50 times just to get the right prefix on your weapon…only to have it have a blade attachment and no scope when you wanted it scoped…

1 Like

The cheat software was never officially part of the game…because it’s cheating.

And because it defeats the object of a loot-shooter and turns it into just a shooter. Plenty of those around already.

Way back in BL1 times there was an interview where gearbox basically said that ‘okay, you make your perfect weapon, game is over’. Borderlands is a game of choices, and if you don’t need to make those choices any more then you are missing out on a core part of the game.

The Grinder in the presequel is the furthest it should ever go.

11 Likes

Agreed. I enjoyed throwing random crap into the presequel grinder (and occasionally the cauldron in the Bl2 bloody harvest dlc) just to see what I could get. So I would like to see something similiar return. However I agree that is the farthest I would want it to go since I enjoy the random looter-shooter aspect that this series has always been based around (with the exeption being Tftbl).

1 Like

More Cowbell.

2 Likes

I agree on that but instead of the full weapon we could have random parts dropping…

That we could just throw in some cool stats and make one increasing rarity every 10~15 levels(first finally a real use for money SDU and ammo is f******* stupid) stopping at purple being that legendary starts the hunt because sincerely we don’t farm boss for nothing less then blue on normal and legendary on True and Beyond

Or

We could increase the level of the on the gunsmith take that legendary weapon and use the Freaking money(Finally another decent use other then lose it when you die) to increase it’s level considering that the max lvl of the weapon being yours

Or

The Grinder Back

Because let’s be real on the first case you normally would keep hunting for elemental weapons every MF time i always lack one element on every mother freaking Borderlands or the weapon is heavily under leveled

Second case when you get some legendary weapons and you need to keep re farming the weapon/shield because of build or necessity(like the freaking the bee) Yay let’s spend 20 hours farming the same stuff again and again

The grinder is fun…the end

But if you find the weapon you want, that’s completely different and you’ll keep playing. Logic!

4 Likes

if you find the perfect weapon, then you no longer have a reason to keep searching for a different one, and because of that the gameplay loop that makes borderlands fun is broken, Logic!

2 Likes

The point being that finding a gun versus crafting one puts you in the same spot, ultimately. Never mind the ludicrous notion of trying to get an item in order to not use it.

For me, the gameplay loop gets broken by disappointment and frustration. I’m not a masochist, so when the game metaphorically kicks me in the groin and I get nothing out of it I’m not eager to line up for another kick. If I could break down all the garbage into a slurry of parts and then sift through those parts for a few gems that I could Frankenstein together into a potentially useful line of weapons that I like to call “Meanwhile”, it could serve to fend off the hellish whims of RNGesus.

2 Likes

but then, as the mod said, it would no longer be a ‘looter shooter’ but just a shooter.
the randomness is where the fun of looter shooters come from, the thrill of chasing something different, something you like more then whatever you currently have.
i understand what you mean, after all, i downloaded a inventory editor for the pre sequal, but i did it mostly out of curiosity of what was possible.

1 Like

Hogwash. You’d still be using loot, you’d just be slightly less dependent on pure luck. Playing poker versus a slot machine.

1 Like

poker looses what makes it the game it is if you know what cards your getting and what cards everyone else has. what makes poker the game it is, is the chance and luck.
poker and a slot machine aren’t really all that different, you just have more control in poker then you do on slot machines.

1 Like

Vertical splitscreen in couch coop. That is what the game needs.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I just said. You’d still be getting random weapons made up of their random parts, but you’d have a bit more control because you could assemble those parts into more useful configurations. Chance, luck, and control versus merely chance and luck. Poker versus slot machine. Hence the analogy.

1 Like

but in poker you can’t chose what cards you get, you can only choose whether you play, how you play them or not to at all. it gives you a choice, but not direct control.

borderlands 3, is like poker, a gun drops, you can choose whether to pick it up, use it or discard it. the choice is yours.

1 Like

Oh, good grief. A gun is a hand, the parts are cards, you discard the ones you don’t want and try to make a better hand with new cards you’re dealt. Not that the analogy needs to be broken down that exactly, as analogies generally work in broad terms (chance, luck, and control), but there you go.

2 Likes

your the one who brought in the analogies, poker and slot machines are gambling, a game of chance, where the only control you have is to play, not to play or how to play. you don’t get to pick what you get. a looter shooter is exactly like that, what you get is up to chance, that’s how the gameplay loop for looter shooters work. it’s not deadspace 3 where you search for parts to customize your guns.

1 Like

You do have a limited ability to pick and choose your hand in several varieties of poker. But, like I have specifically stated so that you can put aside your ridiculous over-analysis - I’m specifically alluding to a system of chance, luck, and control versus a system of purely chance and luck.

You would still be looting and shooting, so it would still definitively be a looter shooter.

1 Like

I think there’s room for taking a weapon you liked and upgrading its parts.

4 Likes

in what game of poker can you pick what card you get? you can chose to trade them a few times in some, but that’s not choosing what you get.

but you also have control, you can control how much good quality loot you can get through mayhem modes.
what you want is against the whole purpose of looter shooters, where the whole point of the game is to chase after better items and choosing what you can get destroys the loop, allowing you to choose what you get and their stats destroys the entire foundation of the genre.
and yes pajama_dad is right, being able to upgrade them would be fine, as that doesn’t destroy the randomness of the game. but changing the parts effectively destroys the loop. because then the game drastically looses it’s main bling, one billion guns. then it would be like 300 to 500 guns with different attachments you can seek.

1 Like

What he said, sort of. In TPS, I thought the grinder was great, at first. After setting up an endgame grinding factory, my squad and I had everything we wanted with our desired parts in a day, and suddenly the game was boring and we had nothing to do. Admittedly, this is TPS I’m talking about, BL2 would’ve been a different story.

Point is, well, it’s already been made. Drop rates are higher in this game, and stat differentials between parts are a lot smaller, if we added a reroll mechanic to that we’d already be out of things to do and counting the nanoseconds until the first DLC drop. Borderlands 2 might have benefitted from this, but BL3 would not.

1 Like