I don’t want to derail the “No Battleplan” thread any further, but it created a small little discussion I have more interest in.
What are your personal top 5 and bottom 5 characters for story missions and Ops? There should be some people playing PvE around here.
It doesn’t really have to be a tier list or sorted by strength and I beg everyone to not get personally offended if your favourite character isn’t listed.
I’ll start with my top 5:
- Attikus: This is a character done right in my opinion. He is fun to play in PvE (I liked playing him in the open beta and I switched to him the moment I unlocked him after release until I could play Deande). He’s strong, he has enough survivability to not get oneshot by everything and best of all: His strength comes purely from his helix. Gear is just an addition to it. He’s my number one recommendation for everyone, who struggles with PvE and no one comes even close to being such a beast that turns almost any mission into a cakewalk.
- Shayne and Aurox: Survivability: Check. Ranged and Melee attacks: Check. Stealth escape: Check. Funny voicelines: Check. She’s not as strong as Attikus, but I never had any problems with her. She needs a health regeneration item, but the other two spots can be filled up with various stuff (I usually take shield strength and damage reduction).
- Deande: She’s a little squishy, but has a great escape and since I’m using a calculated risk build with her (shields are too small in PvE to be a defense, why not use them offensively?) she has very good burst damage when you can hit crits (which are very necessary for PvE). I had the least amount of problems in Demon Bear when using her.
- Caldarius: Blinds in PvE are basically stuns. Stunned enemies don’t move. Crits on non moving targets are easier. Caldarius has a weapon with decent accuracy. He’s basically “PvE meta - the Character”. I’ve played a few matches with randoms (when you still could find some …) as Caldi and they thought I was cheating because I could melt enemies in front of their eyes with him.
- Reyna: She’s been the character I used to carry low levels through PvE. Good burst healing, overshields, a bubble to avoid being shot by some stuff and a big “everyone please shoot that dude over there”-skill.
Obvious question: "Where’s Kleese?"
I admit he’s strong in every wave defense mission, but otherwise I find him too slow-pace to be fun. There’s often not enough time to set up shop before the action starts.
Honorable mention: Beatrix. She’s fun to have on your team in PvE, she has survivability and she also can finish missions without too much issues. But Wound is useless in PvE, so a big part of her kit is just wasting processing power by drawing the visual effect of it on enemies. My recommendation: Play her while she’s still fun, I fear she will get nerfed into oblivion and won’t be viable in PvE for much longer.
My bottom five (borderline unfun and unusable):
- El Dragon: He dies to things in one hit that just shouldn’t be able to do that. He’s gear dependent as no other character and absolutely no fun to play most of the time. I like the design, the voice acting and the idea behind him, but playing him in PvE is rage inducing.
- Mellka: Another character who was nerfed into uselessness (even after the slight buff recently). She started as a melee and ranged hybrid and was used as tutorial character because of that, she now is a melee character with no survivability and a pea shooter. She’s in a very weird spot between Caldarius and Deande, but does everything worse than those and dies very fast. A friend of mine uninstalled the game again after playing the prologue because she made it feel like playing UVHM with white gear in Borderlands 2 for him.
- Benedict: He lost his ability to crit, he stopped being fun in PvE. He’s one of the two UPR explosive guys that turn even a turorial boss like Arachnis into a long and drawn out fight. He dies pretty fast and flying isn’t very useful in the missions.
- Ernest: See Benedict for Arachnis the Invincible reason. Rated slightly higher, because the egg can sometimes be a little helpful in coop.
- Ambra: Maybe I just can’t play her. She does next to no damage, her passive is mostly useless (especially in OPs where enemies deal enough damage to oneshot you without triggering the overshield) and I get stuck with her on the map geometry more than with any other character. It was no fun for me to pop the Varelsi’s head in Oscar Mike and the Battle School when I was oneshot every two minutes and it was no fun to kill the Demon Bear by kiting her around the upper area and let her run into the sunspots and ults I dropped every few seconds. Getting close enough to use the main and alt attack is too often a death sentence for her.
Would be interested in other opinions here.